Friday, April 6, 2012

So my digital media course has officially wrapped up. The last project we had to do was a light box. It was probably one of the more complex projects we had to do in the course.

I ended up taking two photos for the light box that were combined into one for the final project. On the left side is a man sitting alone in a building. On the right is a field of grass, with a duck standing near the bottom of the photo.

I 'll admit I kind of stumbled upon the idea of the photo by accident. I had taken these images separately, hoping that one of them would ignite some kind of inspiration for the project. I initially wasn't really sure about how I would use either one of them. Then I had a talk with my professor who gave me a few ideas.
I decided to put the two together. I felt that there was an interesting contrast in the two photos unified by a single element. The contrast related to the location; the manmade confines of a building to the openness of the natural, grassy field. The single, unifying element was the sense of isolation; both photos have two figures separate and alone, the duck and the human. Yet their surrounding environment seem to give off a different impression of each one. To me the photo of the man gives off a better sense of isolation because the environment around him seems more claustrophobic and in a way foreboding. He seems almost trapped, whether the duck stands in a open, sunny field. The duck appears to be more free.
I feel that this photo is a comment of the downsides of an advanced civilization; that we start to lose touch with the natural world.

No comments:

Post a Comment